Tuesday, October 1, 2013

To Be or Not To Be

I think hamlet is saying
To live or not to live, but not in a suicidal way. More of a "to live life to the fullest" cliché kind of way rather than just breathing air and being physically alive. He wants to sleep, not die. "To die, to sleep-no more-and by sleep we end the heartache..." He doesn't want to die, he would rather sleep and escape into his dreams where heartache doesn't exist and you can give up the idea of who you are and be who you want to be. He wants you suspend your beliefs and think about what could be. He fears death, he doesn't know what will come after he dies. "For in that sleep of death what dreams may come When we have shuffles off this mortal coil." He thinks poorly of humans and life in general. He states "for who would bear the whips and scorns of time, th' oppressors wrong, the proud Nan's contumely, the pangs of love, the laws delay" I believe he thinks every good you do is pointless because you get burned in the end. He doesn't believe in good karma, he believes that if you do something bad, a good man gets burned for it. This is where e wonders why he should live or not, he doesn't see a purpose to put up with it. After all who wants to live a sad, hard, tiring life? 

"To act on what I know to be true in order to hold yourself in higher esteem" speaks to me the most because I have witnessed people go with the flow of things for my entire life. I watch people set routines for themselves and stick with them because it works. People are afraid to go outside of their comfort zones, they won't go against the current to change themselves or perhaps the world. 

I will try to take the path that goes against the current, I want to be different, I crave different. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment